With over 35 years of experience, Cartel is considered one of
Canada's leading employment agencies servicing the legal community. Our
clients are among the most distinguished law firms and our success lies
in our applicants and their desire for the perfect career match. There
is no fee to register with Cartel for any employment opportunity.
We listen. We're honest. Just ask your friends. They'll tell you. Cartel. Give us a call; we really do make the difference.
Opportunity: General Counsel - Corporate Secretary
Term: Temp to Perm
Client, a quasi governmental body, is currently recruiting
a General Counsel with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in Corporate law to join its team in Mississauga.
Preference will be given to candidates with significant corporate governance experience.
position offers excellent opportunities for leadership, development,
and mentorship. The candidate should have an enthusiastic and
responsive approach to client requirements and excellent people skills.
Desired Skills & Experience:
* Implements the legal processes and practices required to protect the interests and obligations of the organization.
* Prepares and reviews various legal documents including contracts, licenses, leases, purchases and real estate transactions.
* Advises, negotiates, writes and reviews vendor contracts with the organization protecting the organization’s interests and ensuring clarity in agreements.
Advises and assists HR in dealing with employment and personnel issues
ensuring a fair and legally sound solution protecting the organization and its
* Reviews regulations and policies to ensure they are
relevant and appropriate, while allowing for the efficient and effective
operation of the industry on an ongoing basis.
Applies for registration or copyrights of the products, devices,
processes and trademarks of the organization.
* Reviews, advises a Appeal
Tribunal and other legal matters, to protect the interests of the organization and
builds rationale to support the suggested approach.
* Examines legal and
other information to determine the advisability of prosecuting or
defending any legal actions.
* Advises and provides input to provincial
partnership planning and strategies as requested by the General Manager
* Engages and manages external legal counsel as appropriate
with respect to deliverables, timelines, fees and expenses.
* Manages all Board and certain Committee meeting
logistics, including coordinating, preparing and distributing Board and
Committee materials, meeting agendas, notifications and meeting minutes
for the Board of Directors and Committees.
* Attends all Board and
certain Committee meetings, recording minutes, highlighting Board and
Committee decisions and/or information items, actions and directives.
Prepares all correspondence for the Board and Committees, including
responses to enquiries or complaints directed to the Board and
* Oversees the planning of Annual Meeting, Fall
Regional Meetings and Spring Policy Conference including the assembly of
papers, agenda, meeting logistics, communication and follow ups.
Supports the Board Chair in performing their role, including the
provision of appropriate briefing materials to represent the organization to
producers, regulatory and government bodies, the media, general public,
* Approves the Board member expenses to ensure compliance with the organization
* Promotes and facilitates open and full communication
links and ensures an effective flow of information between the Board,
its Committees, management and stakeholders.
* Supports and directs
governance processes, including:
o supporting the Board in ensuring an
effective Director nomination process;
o orientation of new Directors
and ongoing Board training and education;
o developing and implementing
guidelines, criteria and instruments to evaluate and enhance individual
member and Board performance; and
o keeping Board members apprised of
governance trends and developments.
* Makes appropriate arrangements and preparations for Board
representation at appeal hearings before the Appeal
* Prepares the Annual Report on behalf of and for approval of
If you are interested, please send your CV in confidence to: ben @ cartelinc.com
Ben Higham, JD, LL.M.
Managing Partner - Legal Recruitment